Friday, January 25, 2013

The Importance of Being Frank


1998 photo of Frank by Andy Timithy

Frank Green died. When I heard that yesterday I felt both gut-punched and bewildered. Had his HIV progressed that quickly since I last saw him? When was that? Probably at a party at Sally and Jerry's. Or was it at the Lit? No. No. It's not right. How could he be gone so soon?

I met Frank in 1999, when I worked with him on a committee putting together the very first Tremont Arts and Culture Festival. Frank was sharp, witty, cute. I liked him right away. We never became close friends, but I saw him from time to time and I thought of him as a touchstone in the arts community. Admired and respected him. Over the years, attacks on his mind and body from within and without rearranged the way he looked and thought. But there remained that Frankish core. Positive, creative, funny, Frank. Always Frank.

In recent years, Frank forgot exactly who I was. But every time he saw me, he'd get a bright, happy smile, and say, "I know you!" as if I were a long lost friend. Then he'd ask my name. Utterly sincere and unembarrassed. Oh sure, he could be a pain in the ass sometimes; like, he seemed to always have forgotten something-or-other and he'd need a ride to go fetch it, but you couldn't help but shake your head and smile and love the guy. Just so Frank.

And always a big hug when he was leaving. Until now.

I scanned the growing number of posts about Frank on my Facebook page and learned from Mike DeCapite that Frank had died from hitting his head in the shower. So it wasn't the HIV or the diabetes, or the cancer, or the drugs, or any of the other crazy shit that he had already survived. Hit his head. Maybe he got off easy, all things considered. Not that that makes it easy for those he left behind.

I am in no way qualified to eulogize Frank Green. I trust that his myriad of closer friends will do a stellar job of it. Just thought I'd toss in my little goodbye note from the outer fringe of his life. Because I, for one, am going to miss having him ask me my name just one more time.



Update: Just heard that Frank actually died of a stroke.  Adding that here so as to not spread incorrect information.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I met Frank through Cindy and Gordon at parties(Owl Hill and Rootstock). This was only in the last 5-7 years so I did not have the pleasure of knowing Frank before he became ill. I am only now coming to find out about his doings prior to having met him. He was someone I would search out at these affairs because he felt so real to me. I understand more about that depth of soul I felt as I find out more about this talented man. I find his passing is touching me deeply and I will miss having the opportunity to get to know him better. Bye Frank, I will, do miss you. Cliff

Blayne said...

I appreciate your comments Cliff. Yes, Frank before his illness was in some ways a whole different person, but also not. I want to say he became a caricature of himself, but that seems like it has a negative connotation and that's not how I mean it. It's just that parts of him receded while other parts became more pronounced. Like he was all still in there but all mixed up in radically different proportions. His voice changed. He moved differently. But his sincerity and kindness and happiness and humor all came to the forefront and it made you aware that THIS was the stuff that Frank was really made of all along. A truly good man.